Terms and Conditions
By becoming a member of Making Awesome, you agree to these terms and conditions:
- 1 Making Awesome, Inc. Member Polices as of December 31, 2014
- 1.1 Becoming a Member
- 1.2 Equipment introduction test
- 1.3 Membership Dues & Plans
- 1.4 Membership Communications
- 1.5 Benefits of Membership
- 1.6 Responsibilities of Membership
- 1.7 Improvements and beautification
- 1.8 Termination of Membership
- 1.9 Card Access Rules
- 1.10 Release of Liability
- 1.11 Intellectual Property
- 1.12 Disclaimer
- 1.13 Release Date, Notice of Changes,Incorporation in Membership Agreement
- 1.14 Contact
Making Awesome, Inc. Member Polices as of December 31, 2014
Subject to change at any time
Becoming a Member
How to become a Member of Making Awesome
To become a member, an individual must:
- Attend a scheduled tour of the Space;
- Attend a scheduled orientation meeting;
- Read the Policies, complete and sign a Membership Agreement;
- Submit your completed Membership Agreement, card fee, and initial dues in the Board mailbox; if no Board member is present, send an email notice of the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- . When an authorized Board member of Making Awesome, Inc. (“MAI”) has accepted your Membership Agreement, MAI will contact you to confirm your membership and provide an Access Card to the Space.
Equipment introduction test
reserved for future use -- will provide for qualification to use specific tools
Membership Dues & Plans
Dues for each month must be paid by the 20th of the preceding month. For example, April dues should be paid by March 20th. Online payments through the Making Awesome website ensure timely and automated processing of membership dues but dues may also be paid by delivering a check payable to Making Awesome to the Board mailbox. Members who fail to pay their dues by the deadline are granted one 30-day grace period before their access card is deactivated. Currently available plans are:
Personal Storage Space Under consideration
Dedicated Workbench Under consideration
- Access Card: $10.00 one time charge ($15.00 to replace a lost card)
- Dishonored Payments: $25.00 will be charged for any check returned to MAI as non-payable
Making Awesome uses an electronic mailing list to communicate with members. The Member shall maintain a valid email address on file with MAI during membership. To register for our announcements mailing list, go to Mailing List Registration
Benefits of Membership
All Members of Making Awesome receive:
- Access to the Space to work on projects either on your own or in collaboration with other Members.
- Permission to bring guests, limited to 3, who shall remain under the control of the Member. The Member accepts full responsibility for any of their guests’ actions.
- Use of all community tools and equipment within the space, subject to restrictions applicable to specific tools as noted in the Space. tool policies
- Reduced fees to all workshops and events (not including the cost of parts, supplies, etc.).
- Attendance and voting at the organization’s annual meeting scheduled in early April.
Members selecting “Personal Storage Space” receive in addition to the above:
- Shelf space for a 5.5 cubic foot storage container (provided by MAI). Members may use their own container of equal or smaller size.
Workbench Members receive all of the above, plus:
- Space for a private workbench (not larger than 3ft x 6ft). Note: subject to availability – check with an MAI Board member if interested in this option.
Responsibilities of Membership
All members are responsible for:
- Putting all materials, projects and tools away before leaving the space.
- Keeping the community refrigerator clean. All items should be labeled with the member's name and date placed in refrigerator. All food that is left overnight or is unlabeled will be disposed of on the next business day, including its container.
- Restoring Making Awesome to its default state, or better than the state in which you found it, before you leave the space.
- Keeping the entry tunnel and walkways clear of materials and debris.
- Keeping the entry doors locked at all times.
- Respecting private and shared property. If you break it, it is your responsibility to get it fixed. (ask for help if needed).
- Keeping your access card secure. Members agree to not share or loan their access card, even to other members.
- Observing the Railroad Square rules regarding parking and any other regulations.
Improvements and beautification
Improvements and beautification in the interest of all Making Awesome members are encouraged. Please receive board approval before making any changes that require financial investment by the organization, or more than 2 hours of labor to undo.
Termination of Membership
A membership shall terminate if any of the following events happen:
- The Member resigns by providing notice in writing;
- The membership term expires and is not renewed;
- The Member fails to pay dues, fees, or assessments within 30 days after they are due and payable;
- An event occurs that renders the Member ineligible for membership, or the Member is no longer able to satisfy membership qualifications, or does not maintain the responsibilities of membership;
- The Board makes a good faith determination that the Member has materially failed to observe the rules of conduct of the Space, or has engaged in conduct prejudicial to MAI’s purposes and interests. In the event that the Board terminates a membership, the Member shall return the Access Card immediately and MAI will refund any remaining balance of the member’s pre-paid dues within 10 days after return of the Access Card.
- MAI is unable to continue to provide access to the Space for any reason. In this event, MAI will provide notice in writing to all Members, refund any remaining balance of the Member’s pre-paid dues within 10 days of the termination, and deactivate the Member’s Access Card.
Card Access Rules
RFID cards provide members with 24/7 access to the space. Members may request an access card by providing a valid photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc.) and paying a $10 fee for the card. Lost cards must be reported to email@example.com immediately and will be deactivated. There will be a $15 charge for a replacement card. There is a limitation of 1 card per Member.
Release of Liability
Every Member agrees to the following on behalf of the Member and any minor child(ren) the Membermay bring to the Space and/or in connection with any activity sponsored by MAI.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK: The Member acknowledges that inherent risks, dangers and hazards exist when using equipment found in MAI and when conducting projects typically associated with the Space (the “Activities”). Participation in the Activities and the use of equipment associated with electronics, manufacturing, construction and scientific practices may result in injury, illness, death or damage to personal property. These risks and dangers may be caused by the Member, other members or participants, by accident, acts of nature or other causes. Risks and dangers may arise from foreseeable or unforeseeable causes including, but not limited to electrocution, burns, impalement, injury from slips or falls, or loss of limb.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY: The Member irrevocably assumes all risks associated with participation in the Activities and exempts and releases Making Awesome, Inc. and its members, employees, officers, agents, and directors (“Affiliates”) from any and all liability arising out of any damage, loss or injury to the Member, the Member’s minor child(ren) or the Member’s property while upon the premises of the Space or using any equipment of the organization or while participating in any of the Activities whether such loss, damage, or injury results from the negligence of MAI, its Affiliates, or from some other cause.
COVENANT NOT TO SUE: The Member shall not institute any suit or action at law or otherwise against Making Awesome, Inc. or its’ Affiliates, nor initiate or any way assist the prosecution of any claim for damages or cause of action which the Member, members family, heirs, executors or administrators hereafter may have by reason of injury to the person of the Member or to the Member’s property arising from or in connection with any of the Activities.
THIRD PARTY INDEMNIFICATION: The Member will indemnify, save and hold harmless Making Awesome, Inc. and its Affiliates from any and all losses, claims, actions, or proceedings of every kind and character which may be presented or initiated by any other persons or organizations and which arise directly or indirectly from the actions of the Member while engaged in the Activities. Making Awesome, Inc.
Every Member shall, and by signing the Membership Agreement does, acknowledge that the Member has carefully read all of the provisions above, fully understands the terms and conditions expressed there, and does freely choose acceptance of the provisions of the foregoing paragraphs relating to assumption of risk, release of liability, the covenant not to sue, and third party indemnification.
Making Awesome makes no claim to any intellectual property created by Making Awesome members or created using Making Awesome resources or facilities. Members are strongly encouraged, but not required, to make freely available under an open source license approved by Open Source Initiative (OSI) or a Creative Commons (CC) license, any documentation, schematics, plans, and/or source code created using Making Awesome resources or facilities. Any Member working on a project that is NOT licensed under an OSI approved or CC license should inform collaborating members of the project's licensing terms BEFORE collaborating.
Making Awesome provides all services “as is”, as a service, and not as a lease of real property, and disclaims all warranties and conditions, whether express, implied or statutory, including, but not limited to, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or use. There is also no warranty of title, quiet enjoyment or possession. The entire risk of participating in or using the Making Awesome service, remains with you, the Member.
Release Date, Notice of Changes,Incorporation in Membership Agreement
These Policies are effective as of December 31, 2014 and are subject to change at any time in the sole discretion of the Board of MAI. The most current version of the Policies will be posted on the MAI website and in the Space. MAI will provide notice of changes to the Policies through the member email list. The most current release of the Policies, as may be subject to change from time to time, is incorporated by reference into the Membership Agreement. Members who continue to use the Space or participate in any Activities after posting of changes to the Policies shall be bound by the new Policies as of their effective date. Any Member who does not agree to be bound by the new Policies shall not use the Space or participate in any further Activities and shall promptly provide notice in writing to MAI and return the Access Card. Members resigning their membership for this reason shall receive a refund of any remaining balance of the member’s pre-paid dues within 10 days of the resignation.
Space location: 1009 Commercial Street, Tallahassee FL 32310 map (in the Railroad Square Arts Park)